Quickly find out which presenation columns are used in which report

There is no easy way to find out which presentation columns are used in which reports and dashboards. I have come across a situation where we need to quickly identify presentation columns used in each report. I didn’t have enough time to go thru all reports.

To save time, I have created a tool which will output the below information.

Report path and name
Dashboard page name
Presentation column subject area name
All the Filters in the report
All the presentation column names (comma separated)

How to use this tool?

2 Launch cmd
3 In cmd pass parameters as following sequence database SID, Usage track schema user name, password.
Example:
C:\location_of_tool\ReportAnalysisConsoleApplication.exe oracle_database_SID usagetrack_USERID usagetrack_PWD > C:\output_directory_or_what_ever\AnalyzedDataOutput.txt

Prerequisites:
Report should access at least once after usage track enabled.

13 comments:

  1. Hi Srinivas,
    Good idea for a tool.
    Can you share details of how this tool is written, and maybe even the source code?
    Cheers,
    RNM.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi RNM,

    Still this tool is not complete, once it done i will share source code as well.

    Still if you or anyone wants, please feel free to send me email @ srinivas.malyala [at] gmail dot com, I can share intermediate code.

    Thanks,
    Srinivas

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,,
    This is really a good invention.

    I am a beginner of OBI.
    I have a requirement like, data in all fields should come with out links.


    Right now Iam doing this by setting "No Interaction" for each column. But how to automate this?

    Thanks in advance,
    santhi.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Santhi,

    Its not invention at all, incoming days u will be doing all these things for sure.

    If i understood your problem correctly, check your dimensions, if your dimensions do not contain any hierarchy then remove drill path check bok in RPD. If problem persist please shoot me mail.

    Thanks
    Srinivas

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi,

    I diont have RPD access. Please let me know is there any way of getting data with out links in Answers with the help of any script or something

    thanks and Regards,
    Santhi

    ReplyDelete
  6. In that case you can set no interaction for those columns as you already did and use system-wide default for that column...I recommend,before doing any system-wide default's take a backup and proceed.

    Thanks
    Srinivas

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi,
    In discoverer it is possible to pull a column into page items at runtime. I heard it is possible in obi also.
    But how to do it?

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  8. IOts Nice to see ..When i Tried to use it throwed me error..

    ReplyDelete
  9. Did you try in Disco? or OBI. In Disco it's working fine. I tried it

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi I have one more issue related to pivot layout.

    In page items, all the drop downs ahould be aligned to right or left.
    If required I can send a scrren shot

    thanks for replying me

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Anonymous..

    Could you please send me which error it trowed so that we can improve this tool.

    @Anonymous2
    Oh is it working in Disco!!! Cool thanks for your information.

    @Anonymous3
    I have not understood what is your issue with pivot layout, could you please send me details.

    Thanks all
    -- Srinivas Malyala

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very interesting posting. did not tried yet , but will

    Thank a lot Srini . GREAT BLOG !!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I can see the usage of this tool in many many occasions.. Thanks a bunch

    ReplyDelete

Please give me your feed back