Leading or Trail Space Trim Issue

If you have column-values with leading or trail spaces those space will be trimmed by presentation services by default, if you drilldown to detail, will lead to no-results or wrong records.

Suppose in your column only these values are there ‘abc’, ‘abc ’ (spaced value),’xyz ’ (spaced value) if you drill on ‘abc’ you will get proper records of 'abc', if we drill on ‘ abc’ will display ‘abc’ records but not ‘ abc’ records, if we drill on ‘xyz ‘ then it will say no results.

To avoid these problems, change column’s data format property to “Plain text (don’t break spaces)” by this property presentation services will not trim leading or trail spaces.
Even in OTN once or twice asked this question, John and Stijn have suggested very good solutions.
I have faced same issue today, I cannot apply my logic because column selected from column selector, so went with Stijn's recommendation.

7 comments:

  1. Hi
    I am not able to use this feature in 10.1.3
    I have leading space in some of the values of a column. Even after setting tha data format, its showing no result.
    Can u pls help me out..?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Akash,

    Have you checked physical query?
    In physical query are you able to see leading spaces ?

    Please do let me know ..we can further investigate why its not happening.

    --Thanks
    Srinivas

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi.
    Thanks 4 yr early reply..
    I dint find any difference in physical query.
    Can u pls give some example.
    Moreover I found leading space is solved by this setting but trailing itself is still not coming.
    Can u pls help me out.

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  4. I mean its still triming trailing space..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Akash,

    I am just wondering how lead space issue went away and trail space still exists, its very interesting problem in realty it should not happen.

    If possible can i access your system so that i can look into it. If you think its okay to access your machine then shoot me mail(srinivas.malyala [at] gmail) and your continent time so that we can look into it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Accessing my system is quite difficult.
    We have servers at different places..
    If you can try with trailing space data in your system, I would be thankful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Akash,

    After tested only I have posted this entry.

    Possible checks may be try to investigate physical query it may give you any clue.

    Last option and best option could be trim spaces in ETL phase.

    Thanks
    Srinivas

    ReplyDelete

Please give me your feed back